Thursday, September 4, 2008

near to me

I have been listening to a great book called Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You. Digging it very much. I am culling great lines form the writing for my own use. Little phrases that can be twisted prettily into my poetry and non-poetry. I especially like the phrase the residue of suggested actions. That one is making into the poem I've been sleeping with for days now.

Last night I went to see Lily Koppel, author of The Red Leather Diary speak. What a story and a half! The author essentially went dumpster diving outside her NY apartment and found a collection of steamer trunks from the early 20th century. In one of the trunks she found a red leather diary that chronicled the adolescence of a young woman named Florence in the 1930s. The story spins off beautifully from there. Lily Koppel was eloquent; a brilliant speaker with a compelling voice that made me super excited to read her words. The story of actually tracking down Florence and finding what became of her is fascinating. Good stuff.


Last Favor
The Finches

I love being a writer, even when I think I hate it. I love language. I love words. I love stringing these 26 symbols together in intricate patterns that sing out what my heart swinging to, or sinking to, as has often been the case. I love the blank page and the feel of the pen in my hand. Nothing else compares. Even if I had no hope of ever publishing or sharing my work I would write because I love it so damn much.

No comments: