Saturday, September 6, 2008

warm the oven

Typing with a wrist brace is lame.

A few weeks back when Isaac Hayes passed, I was listening to an old interview of his on NPR. In the interview Hayes says you can't bake bread in a cold oven, or something to the effect. He was speaking to the act of creating a context for the music to rev up, to pull the listener in before the actual lyrics came in. I think. But the phrase stuck with me, you can't put bread in a cold oven. I think of my writing and how I have to write every day to keep the oven warm. I have plenty of things I want to write about but when I am out of my writing practice I can't express myself. I have almost filled up one whole journal in two weeks. But still, the oven isn't as warm as it needs to be.

I'm reading The Art of the Personal Essay. Helps me a lot with my writing. I'm attempting to be true to my voice. Develop it more. But I have so many voices. I have my snarky email voice that is funny and sarcastic, biting and a little bit mean. I have my poet voice which has more longing in it, abstractions and devastating language. Which one to use? Decisions. Decisions.

I have been in super klutz mode lately. I spill everything. I run into things. I fall. I wonder what is distracting me?


Baby I
Amy Millan

No comments: