Monday, November 10, 2008

Lovely Distractions

Last night playing around on youtube I found a great series of lectures from the Philoctetes Center in New York. I watched a brilliant roundtable discussion called Our Life in Poetry: Artifice and Persona. The writers featured were Monica de la Torre, Cate Marvin, and Brenda Shaughnessy, kind of a dream team for me to watch. I poured myself a glass of wine and watched the hour and a half lecture. First the women read from their work and afterwards there was a discussion on it. Lots of talk about confessional poetry and the voice of the writer. I agreed with a lot of what was said. I found the writer's expressing things I felt but didn't know how to articulate. The Philoctetes Center has a number of lectures available.

Whenever I am having trouble writing I listen to Aimee Mann. Here songs are poems & stories set to music. I heart her.


Stranger Into StarMan/Looking for Nothing
Aimee Mann

No comments: