Thursday, November 20, 2008

a poem I dig & thoughts on museums

The Starry Night
Anne Sexton

That does not keep me from having a terrible need of—shall I say the word—religion. Then I go out at night to paint the stars.

Vincent Van Gogh in a letter to his brother

The town does not exist
except where one black-haired tree slips
up like a drowned woman into the hot sky.
The town is silent. The night boils with eleven stars.
Oh starry starry night! This is how
I want to die.

It moves. They are all alive.
Even the moon bulges in its orange irons
to push children, like a god, from its eye.
The old unseen serpent swallows up the stars.
Oh starry starry night! This is how
I want to die:

into that rushing beast of the night,
sucked up by that great dragon, to split
from my life with no flag,
no belly,
no cry.

****

The nights are finally getting cooler. I can sit on my balcony and tilt up to look at the stars. So many poems about the stars, but I love this one. This is how I want to die. Gets me in the gut every time.

Tonight is Cocktails & Culture in Balboa Park. I don't know if I should go or not. The one time I went I had a blast but still wasn't very social. It is a scene, a place to be seen. I wandered around, into the oddity of being dressed up at an art museum at night. I love museums, I get giddy giddy at them. I end up taking lots of note when I wander around museums, those notes often make it into my poems. I should dig up a notebook I wrote in a couple of summers ago in Paris and Madrid. The Louvre, Musee de Orsay, El Prado, I had journal in hand and when a masterpiece struck me I scribbled down how. I need to get out to the Smithsonian sometimes in the near future.

Taking notes these days on an essay I want to write on poetry. Going to meld into another genre a bit to expand my audience. I'm getting more confidant in my essays. This one dips a bit into literary criticism but that's okay. Time to expand.


Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

I dare you to listen to this song and not feel good.

No comments: