Thursday, December 4, 2008

how to stay

Last night I had early drinks with an old high school friend then spent a couple of hours with my oldest friend, Clay. Clay and I went to elementary school together and have somehow remained friends. Discussing our passions, mine for writing, his for music, Clay asked me if I was still in love with writing. The question hit me, it was nothing I'd ever thought of. I know I love writing, even when I hate it. I know I love the process, slow as it sometimes may be, of creating. But in love with my writing? If I am, it has been a very long time since I've thought about it. What would being in love with my writing feel like? Should we be in love wit our art? Would we fall into the same trappings of romantic love, overlooking fatal flaws of creation? That fancy flight into devastation? Ug, no. I don't want to be in love with my writing.


Volcano
Damien Rice

1 comment:

Estolano in San Diego said...

I enjoy your blog- but here's an mild critique.

You have a cynical view of being "in love!" I don't think it has anything to do with overlooking flaws. Certainly my wife and I can both see each other's flaws (she can certainly see mine!) by now and we remain in love.

I love being a lawyer- though many times it frustrates me.

And, yes, I also love my writing- though it's not as good as I'd like it to be. To me, being in love with my writing, means at a simple level enjoying the pleasure that it gives family and friends to read excerpts from my long delayed novel.

For you, I'd imagine it might be wonderful to look over what you've published.