Saturday, December 13, 2008

what better gift?

Oh MAN! I just dowloaded Cat Power's new EP Dark End of the Street, released this week. Cuts from Jukebox. Holy holy yes! She covers two of my favorite songs ever! Otis Redding's "I've Been Loving You," and Sandy Denny's classic from when she was in Fairport Convention "Who Knows Where the Time Goes." *sigh* My heart is so happy at these covers that I can barely stand it. Yes, the little things are the things that often blow me away. I am undone in my joy at one of my favorite singers singing my favorite songs! The Otis Redding cover blows my mind. The original always enters my veins with a delicious poison sadness. Cat Power's cover is something else, smoke in my throat, a cold night, that post-joy numbness. Outside it is cold and windy and inside I am wrapped in flannel and drinking coffee. The New York Times is beside me. It may be a perfect morning.


I've Been Loving You
Cat Power covering the great Otis Redding

No comments: