Friday, February 27, 2009

Inspired

Last night I went to SDSU to hear Ana Castillo read and left feeling at peace and inspired.

I've been reading AC for about ten years. My friend Imelda introduced me to her writing. Imelda had written an Ana Castillo "after," a poem inspired by the work of another poem. Imelda read me her poem sitting in her car one afternoon while we waited to cross the border, we had a weekly Tijuana sushi habit back then. I remember being a surprised at how openly erotic and sensual the poem was. It was a lesson in writing provocatively. Imelda died a few years ago of leukemia. We were out of touch by then, I had just come back from my winter in Switzerland and was out of touch with almost everyone I knew. I have her poem, somewhere, and will one day come across it and find a way to honor her with it.

Tomorrow I'm taking a one-day memoir workshop with AC and am pretty excited about it. I haven't been in a classroom in a while and look forward to the stretching and such. There are so many stories in my head, an over-crowded aquarium, I have to let some out. I hear so many great stories. The other night at the Vag my cousin had my friends and I rolling with stories about managing the graveyard he works out. Those are tales I can cull for my characters.

I started two books last night and hope they balance each other out. I've started Edwidge Danticat's Brother, I'm Dying. Haunting already, dark, sad and beautiful. A wickedly difficult combination. I also started Chuck Klostermans's Downtown Owl and am pretty giddy over it. I dig Klosterman's humor. He is a truly observant writer, getting at things just under the surface of what's really going on.

Thanks and love for the birthday wishes via email and comments. I was actually surprised at some of you who read my blog! Thanks!


Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
George Harrison

No comments: