Friday, March 27, 2009

One Last Friday

Last year this week I moved out of my old place in Golden Hill and moved into my place here in South Park. It was a very exciting move for me and I was full of happy dances. I remember this vividly this morning because one year ago at the write-a-thon I wrote a long journal entry about my forthcoming change of environment. I had things to look forward to back then. I am much more of a moment to moment type this days.

I keep hearing about this book The Art Instinct. I've read several reviews and articles about the book. It really should be right up my alley, evolutionary psychology and humans instincts towards creating art and responding to it. I bet it still has something to do with getting laid. It always does.

The South Park Walkabout is tomorrow evening. I will probably be exhausted from the write-a-thon (sponsor me!) but I'll go anyway. A band is playing at Citizen Video (where I picked up and watch Gadjo Dilo the other night, phenomenal & surprising.)


Sunshine Superman
Donovan

1 comment:

strum the sky said...

I guess you've read the Washington Post review of The Art Instinct? I liked the questions it raised. The book's worth considering. Also assume you know Dutton's web site "Arts & Letters Daily" (he co-edits, along with Tran Huu Dung) (http://www.aldaily.com/). It's part of my weekly routine (along with your blog). The brief blurbs introducing articles of interest are often the best parts - brain-teasers that get thoughts moving. And regarding what you said it all comes down to... You'd maybe like "Beauty" by Roger Scruton, which has a provocative take on art/beauty, e.g.,
"Beauty comes from setting human life, sex included, at the distance from which it can be viewed without disgust or prurience. When distance is lost, and imagination swallowed up in fantasy, then beauty may remain, but it is a spoiled beauty, one that has been prised from the individuality of the person who possesses it. It has lost its value and gained a price." How we create our archetypes (of art, beauty, gods/religion) may be similar: we need the distance; we need the distance/perspective to perceive clearly, to name, to inspire, to ardor (& adore).