Sunday, March 15, 2009

the rush and pull

I went for NINETEEN mile bicycle ride yesterday. I, who haven't ridden a bicycle in ten years, rode nineteen miles. I was worried my legs would be jelly today and that I would be exhausted but I went to bed at a normal late-ish hour and woke up early, happy. My quads are fine, the calves are fine, the part of my body that was sitting on the seat . . .not so good. I will write today from the comfort of my sofa, no hard chairs for Lizz, thank you very much. Thanks to my friend Andy for convincing me I could do it.

I watched Silent Light last night. The movie is set in Northern Mexico in a Mennonite community. It is a love story about a man with a wife and family who falls in love with another woman. It was deeply odd and to say it was slow-paced would be an underwhelming description. I actually thought the dvd had frozen at several parts during the film. It was a character study and as much about landscape as the world without the rush and pull of modernity. (I've driven through Chihuahua where there is a large Mennonite population; it was odd to see them and even odder, billboards advertising Mennonite juice. . .) The film was beautifully shot but I don't recommend it to anyone who can't handle very very very slow unfolding. The actors were phenomenal, the setting gorgeous and the very odd ending was the first thing I thought about when I woke up in the middle of the night. I had read the NYT Review months ago and was curious about the film but I couldn't watch it again.

I overheard a woman say yesterday The smell of puppy's breath is God's greatest gift to women. I really had to bite my tongue not to say something facetious. Really? Whoever she is, I hope she always speaks in hyperbole like that because if not, what a sad thing to believe is a great gift.

I went for an early walk this morning. Spring is coming! I could smell gardenias and night-blooming jasmine. I will spend more time outdoors.


Across the Universe
Fiona Apple

No comments: