Wednesday, April 15, 2009

what storm is this?

the Aretha Franklin of monogamy

each escalating whoa no I never! highlights
the discord between us, the breath drawn in
never sounding the way it does exhaled, exalted.

outside it is blowing no good, when the horns are
packed, when the back-up singers have gone to wherever
it is back-up singers go to when they are not being used,

when these pipes have cooled down enough so that I am just
another woman trying to do right, there just aren’t enough
songs to be sung on how I would leave you if I could.

:::::::::::
For today's prompt, I want you to take the title of a poem you especially like (by another poet) and change it. Then, with this new altered title, I want you to write a poem. An example would be to take William Carlos Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow" and change it to "The Red Volkswagon." Or take Frank O'Hara's "Why I Am Not a Painter" and change it to "Why I Am Not a Penguin." You get the idea, right? (Note: Your altered poem does NOT have to follow the same style as the original poet, though you can try if you wish.)
::::::::::::


I was tormented today trying to figure out which poem to pick and how to do it justice or at least not be overly cheesy. Jeffrey McDaniel is one of my favorite living poets and the poem I chose of his is one of my favorite poems. My poem is not at all an "after," rather I followed the prompt and thus made a poem. Here is a link to his brilliant The Benjamin Franklin of Monogamy.
Much love to Aretha Franklin as well. If you know her work then you will see I've borrowed from some of her songs.

What is going on with with weather? Crazy wind storm blowing things against my windows during my three hour nap (heavily influenced by the oddly addictive voice of Glenn Harrold and his Deep Sleep hypnosis thing, lets hope it works at night.)


I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
Aretha Franklin

1 comment:

Estolano in San Diego said...

very cool poet and I liked your poem as well. He's got a poetry seminar in May up in LA that you might enjoy.

Keep up the good poems! (and send me my book!)