Sunday, July 19, 2009

week end(ure)


Yesterday Cecil and I rode our bikes to the City Heights Farmers Market.  I dig riding my bike, I need to do it more.  It was a morning ride but by the time we got back at 10:30 it was already way too hot for words.

I started Ursula Le Guin's Steering the Craft yesterday.  Digging it so far, lots of cool exercises to get me thinking about voice, structure and my sentences.  I've focused on poetry for long now that I sometimes find it difficult to get into my prose head.  Years ago I used to write only prose then realized my poetry was horrible so I gave up prose to concentrate on the poesia and now I have to switch back.  I have no problems writing poetry at all now but the prose is sometimes a struggle and I find myself looking at my work and thinking "trite, trite."  Bad thoughts must erase them.

My baby sister comes to town to day and my dad is excited to take all his girls to the Sandcastle Competition in Imperial Beach  We used to go every year when we were kids.  The last few years my dad had been getting sentimental and enjoys revisiting things we did when we were very young. I love him so damn much, he is adorable.  I ran into an old high school friend last night and as we were reminiscing he mentioned how cool it was to hang out with my dad back in the day .  I am quite the lucky human to have such a phenomenal family.

No comments: