Friday, August 21, 2009

Beau, born, beautiful


Happiest of birthdays to my bestie, Beau! 

B, when you showed up at my doorstop, unexpected and smiling with a six-pack and mix tape, I had no idea that you were going to make my life such a nicer place to live.  Your friendship, companionship and lerve mean the world to me. 

Thank you for being there for me 24/7, for the little things you do daily.  Thank you for always getting up to get me chocolate when the cravings hit; for always showing up with groceries and beer; for the complicated and sometimes challenging meals you take hours to prepare.  For the music and singing along with me when I'm being goofy. Thank you for always driving.  Thank you for indulging my silly side when I get into the DZ and thank you for getting into the DZ yourself. Thank you for talking me down when I am about to freak out and thank you for letting me freak out when I need to.  For your infinite patience when I am in monsters of moods and the crankiest, snappiest thing around, I am grateful. Thank you for your shoulder for crying and your hand for holding when I am lost in the blues.  Thank you for laughing at my dumb jokes. Gracias for making me laugh daily and for making me think when my brain just wants to be lazy. Thank you for picking my drunk butt up from bars when I need an escape. Thank you for taking care of me when I'm sick and worrying about my health when I forget to worry about it. Thank you for mentioning less and less how bad I am at doing dishes. Thank you for all of your hard work on my chapbook and the poem-a-day project. Thank you for all the mints. Thank you for growing a beard for a month so we could be the perfect Joseph and Mary for Halloween. Thank you for giving me space when I needed it. Lerve to you for the shoulder massages when the tension has me in its claws. Thank you for the hours spent on the sofa lost in Deadwood, True Blood and for indulging my obsession with watching Jeopardy and getting excited with me whenever a "dream board" appears.

From the beginning, you have been the most loyal and loving friend anyone would hope for. You enhance my life daily. You've opened my palate to a world of phenomenal (and sometimes weird) culinary experiences.  If you were ice cream you'd be my favorite flavor. I wish you love, uncomplicated joy, the good kinds of challenges and more joy.  Know that I love you deeply, appreciate you daily and that your name is tattooed on my heart.  Thank you for being my friend. Happy birthday Beau, I am SO glad you were born.


You Are the Best Thing
Ray LaMontagne

3 comments:

Red Charlotte said...

Happy Birthday Beau!!

Anonymous said...

so are you two an item then? and if not, why not?

Lizz Huerta said...

Ha!! Everyone's favorite questions. Not an item, best friends and happy with friendship. Less is sometimes more.