Sunday, September 20, 2009

someone save temptation

I've loved Iron & Wine for years,  Listening to The Trapeze Swinger tonight I heard the lyrics for the first time.  His voice hypnotizes and I forget to listen to what he is saying.  Here are a couple of my favorite stanzas:

But please remember me, fondly
I heard from someone you're still pretty
And then they went on to say that the Pearly Gates
Had some eloquent graffiti

Like 'We'll meet again' and 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
And angels with their great handshakes
But always done in such a hurry

or

Gleam and resonate just like the gates
Around the Holy Kingdom
With words like, 'Lost and found' and 'Don't look down'
And 'Someone save temptation'


and

So please remember me, finally
And all my uphill clawing
My dear, but if I make the Pearly Gates
I'll do my best to make a drawing

Of God and Lucifer, a boy and girl
An angel kissing on a sinner
A monkey and a man, a marching band
All around the frightened trapeze swinger


Mother of Pearl, I can't get enough.

Also friends, Costco toilet paper is from now on to only be used as a last resort.  I'm just saying. 


No comments: