Wednesday, October 14, 2009

off to berkeley

I'm off to Berkeley this morning, full of anti-inflammatory meds.  I've chosen not to take anti-biotics because I think when I went to the doctor yesterday it was a little late in the game.  I don't need those harsh drugs in my body. 

Looking forward to my trip to Berkeley to visit Geoff Bouvier, I've been looking forward to it for weeks.  I met Geoff a few years ago at the awards ceremony  for a poetry contest he was judging; I was the winner. We hit it off immediately and dove into a dynamic friendship of poetry, philosophy, food and hilarity.  Geoff is one of those people I can call after not having spoken to for months and we will start off where we left off and it feels like no time has passed.

And lucky me!  It turns out one of my best friends, Sharline Chiang, a Pan Dulce writer, will be in the Bay this week too!  The last time I saw Sharline it was about 2am in the morning, we were exchanging funeral stories about our grandparents and laughing our asses off.  It sounds bad but we were both part of cultural traditions we didn't really feel comfortable in and our observations were killer.  It was probably one of the best laughs of my life.

I'm loving reading about my friend James Bowden and his adventures in Patagonia studying & tracking pumas.  It makes me want to be a cowgirl.  Also on my reading list, still, is Cecil's bicycle adventure including a recent run-in with a drunk driver.  All of this writing about travel and moving has me itching for adventure.  Soon, soon.

I discovered this artist, Gentleman, in Switzerland my season there years ago. I saw him in concert about this time of year.  Thinking of my Swiss adventures, in language, food, culture and isolation, love.  I had some beautiful moments out there.   And I learned I like German reggae.

I need to go dancing soon.  Dancing around my apartment is fine but I want to shake it on a dance floor.


No comments: