Monday, November 30, 2009

holiday madness

Not really.  The holiday weekend was very mellow.  I spent much of it on the sofa engrossed in the new Barbara Kingsolver book The Lacuna. I dig it so far.  I'm not as into it as I was Prodigal Summer but I have a lot of respect for the work that went into it.  In style it really does remind me of Latin American literature. Much of it takes place in Mexico and there is a bit of Spanish thrown in.  I've found one mistake so far.  Early in the book the narrator describes the horns of a mariachi band but at the time the narration is set, horns hadn't yet been introduced to mariachi bands.  Hollywood did that in the 30s.  I can't find any documentation of this on the internet but I remember my old mariachi teacher telling me this when I played in the the group. So it must be true.

I've been in a quiet place, contemplative.  The holiday season always does this to me, the same sad song.  I'm over all of my old holiday angst but the part that is still a little girl hates the holidays as much as she did as a child.  It was the season of alienation back then.  Of all the things I endured as a Jehovah's Witness child, holidays were the worst.  It's like muscle memory, but with emotions.  I feel slightly panicked and want to hibernate. And I have been.  I think over the weekend I left the apartment twice.  But I did do some writing so I don't feel too guilty.  And I save money when I stay home.


Flume
Bon Iver

1 comment:

JJones said...

The following SUMMARIES OF OVER 1400 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CRIMINAL and CIVIL COURT CASES will provide the BEST and MOST ACCURATE info about Jehovah's Witnesses, their beliefs, and how they ACTUALLY practice such day to day.


The following website summarizes 900 court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 400 cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children, as well as nearly 400 CRIMINAL cases -- most involving MURDERS:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

jwdivorces.bravehost.com


The following website summarizes over 500 lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against their Employers, incidents involving problem JW Employees, and other secret JW "history" court cases:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

jwemployees.bravehost.com