Tuesday, November 17, 2009

triste


My heart broke  yesterday when a friend posted a link on her Facebook page about the death of a 19 year old gay man, Jorge Steven Lopez Mercado.  He was found burned, dismembered and decapitated outside of his hometown of Cagua, Puerto Rico.  As horrifying as this hate crime was, the comments of police investigator Angel Rodriguez were horrendous: people who lead this type of lifestyle need to be aware that this will happen. I woke up a few times last night thinking of poor Jorge and what he had suffered. I thought of his family and cried.  I called my grandmother in Puerto Rico and she hadn't even heard about the crime, which is strange because PR is the kind of island (in my experience) where news and gossip flies faster than light.  

It was a horrible day for news yesterday, I had many reasons to cry.  I cried over the death of Shaniya Davis.  I cried for Jorge. I used to have a rule to not watch or read the news because I am overly sensitive and will have nightmares. 

My heart goes out to the families of Jorge and Shaniya.


No comments: