Wednesday, February 17, 2010

all over the place


I am coveting these oilskin bicycle panniers. These lovelies are from the UK. They don't ship here, sad face. I may just have to whip out the sewing machine, put on a heavy duty needle and attempt to make them myself.

I was surprised last night during the Olympics (male ice-skating and didn't the Russian guy look like Adrien Brody in a blonde wig?) to hear Perfect Day by Lou Reed in a commercial. With astronauts. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But it reminded me of the great Halloween costume I have planned for next year.

My amazing and odd dream world is back in full swing. I really am fascinated by the places I go, since I go to them again and again. Last night I was in a peninsular village on the coast somewhere near the equator. It was dusk and some killer mollusk was on the loose and I was the only one who knew the remedy. My beautiful Icarus Kitty made a guest appearance. There was a weird otherworld-ness to my other world last night, a little bit of sadness but nostalgic sadness, not the weepy let me listen to Tom Waits and drink whiskey sadness.

The last 24 hours have been good, gorgeous weather. I spent most of yesterday with Cecil having one of our great wandering days involving Asian grocery stores, the beach and dinner. I told him how when I first saw him at a poetry reading years ago I was terrified of him because he was (and is) kind of mean to certain people. I had no idea he would become one of the greatest friends I've ever had. Looks like a new project is in the works for his garden. I look forward to the work.

I have poems to submit. I've run out of excuses. Sending my little babies out into the world to see if they can stand on their own, terrifying.

Here is a link to a GREAT poem, Jolene by Sherman Alexie. The answer Mr. Alexie, unfortunately, is yes and all too often.

1 comment:

Marcos said...

Anywhere in particular you're thinking of submitting to? How do you decide?