Friday, March 12, 2010

wedding

Getting ready this morning for my friend Kat's wedding. I've know Kat for about 12 years. Our little group of friends has been though a lot, weddings, childbirth, break-ups and many tears. Plenty of laughter too. Out of our little group I am the last one standing. Completely free, no kids, no husband or partner. I've stayed this way for years and will probably remain this way for a long time. I'm really really happy that Kat found someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with, someone who loves her kids and loves her the way she deserves to be loved. She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever known, her love and spirit are unparalleled. Today is a day for water-proof mascara, tissues and alcohol. I usually hate weddings. I think today will be different.

I kept dreaming of the wedding. I kept dreaming I slept through it. There is a story behind that dream since there was once a wedding I slept through. It was a few years ago and someone I loved deeply was getting married and I felt odd about it, not unhappy since we hadn't been together in years but odd since it signified the end of an era. I knew they were getting married at 11 in the morning and at 10:45 I fell asleep, though I never take naps in the morning, and I woke up at noon. My mind shut itself down for some reason. The mysteries of my body and mind astound me. I protect myself when I think I don't need protecting.

3 comments:

Marcos said...

Lizz, you've known me for 16 years! How come we've been out of contact for so long!

And, by the way, whose wedding were you asleep for? You're writing about personal stuff on this blog. Come on, give us ALL the dirt!

p.s. I don't mean to be pushy. Feel free to ignore this comment. I'm a bit drunk right now.

Marcos said...

p.p.s. I think you've got the strength to remain 'the last one standing' and still be happy, if you want, assuming beau doesn't get to you first.

p.p.p.s continue to ignore if preferred. Still drunk.

Lizz Huerta said...

Marcos! I've know you a very very long time. His name begins with G, I ran into him at the wedding today. I enjoy being the last one standing and don't think I'll mind if I stay this way. Beau will never marry me, but my mom calls him my husband-friend and I find it kind of funny. Raising my beer to you! Cheers!