Sunday, March 28, 2010

mazatlan


In Mazatlan in a hotel with my aunts and one uncle. Everyone is asleep and I'm cherishing the solitude. I have so many relatives here. Last night we went to my half-aunt's house for her daughters bridal shower. I just met my aunt of Friday night for the first time and last night I met her four daughters. Her daughters were some of the most beautiful women I've ever met, I felt like Shrek next to them. The bridal shower was interesting. Men and women both went but, how unusual for Mexico, the genders didn't co-mingle. The men had their own party at the other side of the yard and not one person crossed the line. Until my aunt Silvia got my uncle to take to me to the doctor. . . more on that soon) It was a sweet little party with great food. Typical bridal shower games, ooohing and ahhhing. My cousin is getting married at the unheard of age of 25. This isn't something I make up, this shit is everywhere and everyone is constantly making comments about my spinsterhood. It makes more sense now that my dad is always annoying me over it, its a freaking cultural thing from his homeland. Yeeesh. I am so incredibly over it but there really isn't anything I can do. Suck it up, I suppose

My stomach is finally better. Last night had my uncle take to to another uncle who is a doctor. He examined me and told me exactly what I knew already: my body isn't used to this much food and this kind of food. He gave me a prescription and I finally had some relief. Because my stomach was so distended, a woman at the party asked me if I was pregnant; I was drinking a beer. I told her no, just bloated. My aunts Silvia and Lily kept joking that maybe I was pregnant, I assured them I would have to be very, very, very preggos if that was that was the case and they kept bringing up the show "I didn't know I was pregnant." We had a good laugh over it, but I don't think they believed me.

My uncle the doctor was a new relative too. After his diagnosis we sat chatting. We asked him why he hadn't come to the party and he told us his daughter's boyfriend was an innocent victim of drug-related violence last week and he had promised his daughter he wouldn't leave his house. How sad. My cousin's boyfriend was buying a car when someone shot up the car lot he was at. The story chilled me. Getting caught in the crossfire, ay.

Heading back to the ranch in a few. I don't know what I'll do with myself the next four days. No more parties, my aunt Lily is leaving tomorrow. I guess I should work on my novel. I'll see how I feel.

1 comment:

lemonverbena said...

These posts are awesome! Glad you're feeling better.