Thursday, May 20, 2010

sweet nerd I am

I'm in nerd mode. Woke up and read this article about how overworking is bad for the brain. Well, duh. I didn't need to read the Harvard Business Review to know that. I don't ever overwork and my brain is fresh and delightful every day.

Or maybe not. I confused myself with my latest book purchase but in a potentially good way. A couple of years ago I was obsessed with Jonathan Lehrer's Proust was a Neuroscientist. I read his other book, How We Decide and liked it enough, though once you start reading the behavioral sciences, shit starts to run together. I decided I wanted more and confused myself with the title of his first book and bought one I hadn't noticed before. Because it was by a different author and I was drinking red wine whilst purchasing. But now I am about to dive into Alain de Boton's Consolations of Philosophy and am eager to be thrilled. Someone whose opinion I trust loves his work so I may as well find myself another author obsession since I've run dry on fantasy books for the moment. Also, I doubt it is good for my love life to have books with swords and fantastical creatures on the cover next to my bed.

I hung out with my lovely friends Becky and Mark last night and had some nice belly laughs. I don't have a lot of friends but the friends I do have are awesome. I need to get some face time with La Creep and Baby D soon. I miss them very, very much.

I'm reading a piece next week at So Say We All's V.A.M.P. at the Whistlestop. I haven't submitted anything to them for a while and am looking forward to it. This is the first piece I'm reading for them that isn't humorous. I has a hard time writing it the other night, all torn up with latent adolescent angst. But I got over it. I know the piece needs some work but hey! I have 9 hour of writing coming up this weekend. I was on SSWA's website yesterday. I have two videos up of performances but I haven't watched them. The one from December might be funny since I was drunk and yodeled but I still can't watch myself without cringing. I'm fond of self-awareness but only as long as I don't have to watch myself.

This was on heavy rotation yesterday. Yeah, I repeat myself. Get over it.



No comments: