Thursday, July 22, 2010

Return, return, O Shulamite; return, return

Yeah, I quoted the Bible. It happens and if/when it happens I will most likely quote a book attributed to Soloman. Recently I was discussing language and form with a poet friend of mine and what influences our work. I was surprised when he said the bible has become an inspiration. I get it. I don't read the book for content but for language. And I'll steal images and ideas like crazy because crazy is what the bible is full of.

Yesterday afternoon I sat down and worked on a villanelle. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, but the villanelle didn't really turn out so well. (ha ha.) But for a first draft I'm pretty proud of myself. Writing in iambic pentameter is not too challenging but continuing the flow of content with the refrain is. The poem turned out to be a cruel piece of writing, I doubt it will ever see the light of day, but I enjoyed writing it. I'll attempt another later. I was reading Gerald Stern yesterday before I attempted the villanelle, his ear for music is clearly a lifetime of love and devotion. Here is the beautiful first stanza from the poem She Was a Dove:

Red are her eyes, for she was a dove once,

and green was her neck and blue and gray her throat,

croon was her cry and noisy flutter her wing once

going for water, or reaching up for another note.


I had a nightmare last night wherein many of my fears were confirmed. I was devastated and angry beyond belief. But I retaliated, I beat up an enemy with the limp body of a tiger. Then I went to Negril. I haven't had a nightmare in a while and this one was about emotional fears that aren't entirely irrational due to things that have happened in my life before. I need to redress the ways I approach things.

I appreciate all the silence in my life these days, the selected company.

By Your Side
Beachwood Sparks

No comments: