Friday, July 23, 2010

a streak of cruelty

After I blogged yesterday I talked with a friend who is also an ex. We were discussing writing and other things. I made a comment about a passive aggressive action and he said said "Like a couple of the poems you gave me?" Ouch. I had to admit, I was cruel. At the time I chalked it up to sharing my work with someone whose opinion I valued, but really, I was being an ass. I was hurt and angry over the way things had been going and wrote a couple of poems masking my anger. And though I told the truth in the poems, they were ugly truths and things that just weren't very nice. Weirdly, they're a couple of my favorite poems. Enough time has passed where my friend and I had a good laugh over the poems. But, I hope I'm adult enough not to do that again. I say that because the villanelle I was working on the other day also has elements of cruelty, and I am strangely fascinated by it. I would be devastated if someone handed me a poem that was written to get under my skin and hurt me. Not hurt like a knife, but a tiny wound that smarts and stings doesn't let you function.

Mermaid Parade
Phosphorescent

No comments: