Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the cooling

Last night as I fell asleep I swore there was someone walking on the roof. I'm pretty sure it was the cough syrup making me hallucinate. I woke up several times in the night, my lungs cold with the night air. I dreamt deeply, melancholic. I hate when my body is weakened. My immune system has been taxed, with the burn, the cold, the general non-care of my body. I need to eat more fruit.

I'm reading A.S. Byatt's Possession on the recommendation of my friend Eric. I am enthralled. Eric and I have similar tastes in fiction and we read a lot of the same social and psychological sciences. He knew I'd love the book. I think I may have watched the film adaptation of the book because ghost memories of plot points are keep rising up as I read. But it must not have been memorable. The writing is like nothing else I've ever encountered. This book was a labor of love.

The weather is already slipping from the summer that wasn't. I have so much on my heart and head this morning that my jaw hurts.

No comments: