Friday, September 23, 2011

the hours they fly

It often feels like I don't have enough hours in my day. I wake up early, write a bit, work all day, come home, exercise, eat then sleep. What about the me time? I suppose most of it is me time since I'm alone most of the day but I need to figure out who to squeeze in some time to do really nice things for myself.

This is a new goal. Do nice things for Lizz since I tend to do nice things for everyone else and neglect myself. Part of that doing nice things is spending more time submitting my work for publication. I'm a crappy submitter. Often I just have to shut my brain off and not read, not write, not watch television or listen to audiobooks. Usually I cook. Yesterday I crocheted for two hours. New temptations arise. I'm thinking about the ocean a lot and how I want to get back out there and go surfing. Then I look at my to-d0 list and know I should stay home and chip away at it. But the ocean calls.

One of my goals this weekend is to look over the manuscript of my novel. Not the novel of days of yore but the one I started earlier this year. My space above my desk is covered with notes for it and I want to see what it looks like after a couple of months of neglect.

I listened to an audiobook this week that bothered me. I was bothered by the writing, it wasn't very good but the story was compelling enough to keep me interested. And I didn't particularly like the protagonist or any of the characters, I found they fell flat and were more caricatures than fleshed out people I could connect with. But I kept listening. The story was predictable and at times tedious but something, something had me hooked. I don't know what exactly and am annoyed at myself. I think I may have been hooked by the interspersed history as it was a history I was previously unfamiliar with and curious about. I should have just read up on the history instead of wasting 12 hours listening to the hokey thing.

Currently I'm listening to Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything. Right up my cognitive psychology alley. I read and listen to so many books on the brain, cognitive, behavioral and evolutionary psychology that I may start referring to myself as an armchair neurologist. I'm also starting The Night Circus since reviewers are drooling on themselves over it. And oh! The pile of books on my nightstand is ridiculous to behold. If there is a devastating earthquake one night look for my body beneath the pile of books in my bedroom.

No comments: