Tuesday, September 20, 2011

restoring

Saturday morning I woke up and decided I wanted to learn how to surf. I called Surf Diva, a surf school specializing in teaching women how to surf and signed up for their weekend clinic. I went to La Jolla Shores, got a board, wetsuit and started. And I loved it. There is something about the ocean that is completely restorative. Being in the water, whether the sea, a swimming pool or a bath, has always calmed me and brought me joy. I loved the weightlessness, the buoyancy, the feeling of at once being out of my element and completely immersed in it. I stood up on my first wave and was thrilled. I caught wave after wave. I crashed a lot and kept going out. I saw dolphins, sea lions and stingrays in the water. It was challenging but wonderful. My lessons lasted two days. At night when I went to bed I was exhausted in the best way. My body ached and I was bruised from where the surfboard had slammed into my body. I'm still bruised. When I was falling asleep those nights after being in the water the memory of the waves was in me and I slept dreaming I was still on the sea, floating. It was sublime. I can't wait to get back into the water.

Before waking this morning I had a dream I was a party. I was bored. I was surrounded by people I know but I had nothing to say to them. In the dream I came home and was sitting on my bed when a pregnant cat jumped through my window. I laid out old towels for her and she gave birth to twelve tiny kittens wrapped in their amniotic sacs. I'm retreating a bit from the world these days, from situations and conversations I'm tired of. Maybe the cat symbolized my creative self, my best self returning to me. Maybe I'm more philosophical before my morning coffee. I have so many stories and projects inside of me waiting to come out. The season is changing from Summer to Fall, I always get restless and nostalgic when the weather changes.

My old roommate and good friend, poet Geoff Bouvier is asleep in my guest room. He's in town for a few days and we had dinner last night. We had some conversations about writing and life that I needed. He reminds me of my best self, the creative, free-spirited artist who takes risks and is rewarded for her bravery. Geoff and I have had some great adventures, crazy shit I look back at and shake my head at, impressed at my bravery and willingness to let go. I'm lucky to have friends like him, soul-mates I don't see very often but when I do they reenergize me. And we laugh. He had me doubled over in laughter. I haven't laughed like that for a long time. I met Geoff when he was judging a poetry contest. I won first place and we met at the award ceremony and reading. I love that Geoff has always loudly supported me and he isn't afraid to yell at me when I need a little ass-kicking. I love friends like that.

I have a couple of readings coming up. Next Thursay, the 29th I'll read a short piece at So Say We All's V.A.M.P. at the Whistlestop. My piece is about a childhood game I played while growing up in Chula Vista. The piece is dark but funny. Something I've been wanting to write about for a long time. On October 15 I'll head up to L.A. to read at Vermin on the Mount. I've read at Vermin before and have always enjoyed the experience. I'm happy to be getting out there again, honing my performance skills and sharing my work. A couple of other things on the horizon for my writing. Some offers to do some writing for online publications. And, again, I'll attempt to be a better blogger.



2 comments:

guadalupe said...

i've been following your blog for just a couple of months now but i find your words and experiences shared, filled with life and soft love that makes me wanna dig deeper inside myself and keep writing! gracias for the inspiration that you are :)

Lizz Huerta said...

THANK you! That comment made my day :)