Wednesday, September 21, 2011

work, sleep, edit, return

I've battled insomnia for a long time. I'm having the opposite of insomnia these days. I can't stay awake. The last few nights I've gone to bed before 9, last night I barely made it to 8. I sleep deeply, and wake up around 5. I don't really mind but I feel kind of like an old lady. I know my work is pretty physical and my body needs to recover but damn. I'd like to stay up at least until 10.

This week I'm working with an oil-based paint that can only be thinned with turpentine and the horrible acidic stink of it has imbedded itself into my nostrils. Ugh. I think the chemicals are burning brain cells, another reason I need to sleep so early. My brain says "waaaaahh!" I'm not particularly happy at the job site I'm working at this week, I'm actually pretty pissed at how things have transpired. I remind myself I only have to stay at this job site until my job is done. But I am pretty damn poopy pants pissed in the meantime.

I've been thinking about voice a lot and how I have several in my writing and can sway from one to another. In particular, the piece I'm working on now starts off with a particular voice, the darkly comedic narrator voice and evolves more into one of emotional introspection, with a little social justice finger-wagging thrown in. I don't know. I know what I want to say but translating that onto the page is challenging. And this, my friends, in why we have multiple drafts.



No comments: