Tuesday, October 4, 2011

love, surprises, spnning




Happy 30th birthday to my sweet sister Deanna. My earliest memory is being taken to the hospital to meet her. I was two and a half. I remember my aunt lifting me up to the nursery window and pointing the baby out and saying "That's your sister!" I couldn't figure out which baby she was. I remember my parents bringing her home and how excited I was for her to be old enough to play with me. I would ask my mom every day "Can she play with me today?" We grew up pretty close, even though we fought all of the time. I loved being a big sister and having someone I could experiment on. I was always making her eat weird concoctions I made. I always invented elaborate games for us to play, based on books I was reading. I specifically remember making her play Becky to my Sara while I was reading The Little Princess. Our youngest sister arrived six years after Deanna. We're all very close. I was able to spend a lot of time with both of them this weekend.

Saturday night we had a big surprise party planned for Deanna. We flew in a bunch of her close friends from the Bay Area and rented part of a ballroom on a harbor dinner cruise. All of us arrived at the boat to pre-board and waited on the top deck. Deanna her her boyfriend Matt boarded a while later and came up to the top deck where all of us shouted "Surprise!" She was super surprised and cried like a baby. he was especially thrilled to see all of her college friends as she rarely gets to see them and they''re really close.

During dinner my sister and Matt disappeared for a little while. When they came back to the ballroom they went to talk to my parents and the screaming started. Mat had taken Deanna to the top deck and proposed to her and she said yes. I cried my eyes out, I was so happy for her. (I also almost punched an elderly relative who came up to me excited and said "Oh Lizz, we thought you'd be the first one to get married!") It was awesome. After the cruise my sisters, Matt, some friends and I went to the Whistlestop to keep drinking and dancing. It was beautiful.

I am so happy for my sister. She has always wanted to get married and have her own family. She and her fiance recently bought a house a few blocks from where I live and I get to see them all of the time. Matt is a great guy, kind, generous and he makes her truly happy. I look forward to having him as a brother-in-law.

I drank too much this weekend. I went out three nights in a row and was not completely sober until yesterday morning. It was one of the strangest weekends I've ever had. The joy of my sister's engagement coupled with the grief of my very recent break-up had my mind all over of the place. My head was spinning. I was overjoyed for my sister then sadness would sucker-punch me in the heart. Life goes on.



No comments: