Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the spoils of a year

The end of the year is almost here and I always, most likely like everyone else, go into a period of contemplation. Actually, I lie. I've been in a period of contemplation for a while now. I go into myself, often broodingly but I enjoy the brooding. I consider it a hibernation, the incubation before a period of growth.

Looking back on the year I have much to be proud of. My body is strong, stronger than it has ever been before. I enjoy my regiment of exercise and training. I finished the first draft of my novel, something I've been wanting to do my entire life. I sent out my poetry manuscript consistently. I began teaching. I have a meditation practice, something that I haven't been able to maintain in the past. I'm more centered than I have been in a long while. I have good friends who challenge me intellectually and who make me laugh. My life is not at all boring. I have a phenomenal family, I love them more than anything and I live in constant state of gratitude for them; they are at the center of me, my everything, my base.

My challenges were not easy challenges this last year but for the most part I handled them with grace, I think. There were a few moments I am not proud of but looking back I can honestly say I was driven to my rage by actions that were not at all honorable, my reactions were honest and valid; the situations that enraged me were ones wherein I discovered dishonesty. Lessons learned; my gut feeling, intuition, doesn't lie.

I don't have big plans to bring in the New Year. I don't really care about the false celebration. Amateur night. Forced joy. Looking at the weather report for the weekend I see it is supposed to be 80 degrees on New Year's Day. I'd rather go to sleep at a decent hour then wake up early and ride my bike through the streets of what will surely be a deserted city. I don't want to waste a day of sunshine on sleep, or waste an evening of sleep on jostling and crowds. Solitude may be in order, as much as I know that will disappoint a few people who want to go out with me. I enjoy choosing solitude.

I am planning on not drinking the entire month of January. Not that I am an imbiber, but I do usually have a glass of red wine nightly. I want a month of no booze on my system. I also intend to do a vegan month. We'll see. I'm sure I can do it. I have the cooking skills to eat well whenever I want and sacrifice is a good practice, especially where health is concerned.

All in all, moving forward.

1 comment:

Chris said...

If you don't already have it, get the cookbook "Vegan With A Vengeance.". Good job. January should be amazing for you.