Tuesday, January 10, 2012

ten days in

Ten days into 2012. Lovely so far, really. No drinking, no meat or animal products and daily meditation. (I say all this at the risk of sounding like Latina Gwyneth, according to Cecil.) I've been active almost every day. The first couple of days were a little rough as I also gave up morning coffee and I was a raging, crying beast until the caffeine headache wore off. I've had a couple of afternoon cups of coffee since then without any problem. My biggest challenge has been fat, but I've been eating avocados and nuts daily.

New Year's Eve was many, many things. I'm still not sure what to make of it. I was less sober than I have been in years. My hangover the next day was one of the most brutal ever but I was actually happy to be suffering so, as it gave me impetus to not drink the month of January.

Vegan has been good as well. Im' a great cook so I haven't been suffering at all. I don't really eat that much meat to begin with. I eat a lot of fish and some dairy. A few times I've had cravings for something hearty to sink my teeth into, I've chosen eggplants over meat. Not drinking coffee automatically killed my number one dairy consumption of the day, cream in my coffee.

I'm trying new things this month. I went with Cecil to Tijuana on Friday night, on our bicycles and we rode Paseo de Todos, a monthly community bicycle ride. I had a great time. We rode around in a group for hours. We rode home around 1am. Tijuana has changed so much since my younger days of partying there. It holds little allure for me now, though I've heard there is a great nightlife still.

The meditation, as always, is wonderful. I love the silence. I'm on a clutter-clearing path, clearing out old things in my home. I've cleaned my apartment beautifully. Next I'll clean out my closets and cupboards. Onwards, upwards. I have too much junk holding me back.

A couple of readings this month. I'l be reading with So Say We All again on Thursday January 27 at the Whistlestop Bar for V.A.M.P. My piece is short. The phenomenal Cecil will be reading as well. I'm also reading the next evening at Voz Alta. I'm reading with Bonafide Rojas, a poet I've known since 2002, he's from a New York, a very cool guy. I'm also reading with a couple of local writers, Ted Washington and Stacy Dyson. It will be a good night I look forward to reading poetry, it has been too long. Tomorrow I'm sending out my full-length poetry manuscript to a contest.

No comments: