Tuesday, May 29, 2012

boda






It was beautiful.

Highlights:

Getting ready with my sisters and various other bridesmaids and family members. It occurred to me as we dressed and primped and rank champagne that we were were engaging in an ancient ritual. The bride was surrounded by women as we helped her prepare for her new life. We fed her, drank champagne, sang, told her she was the most beautiful woman in the world. It was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life.

The ceremony. It was short and completely personal. It was funny, emotional and honest, just like my sister and Matt. We cracked up, cried and were overjoyed. They wrote their own vows, which were sweet without being cheesy. I had a hard time keeping my eyes dry, but then again, I was on the vicodin cough syrup.

The photo booth. We rented a photo booth so the guests could take pictures and have a personal memento to take home. It was riotous. People couldn't get enough. We had to close the photo booth just to get people inside to eat dinner. Pictures got crazier later in the night as the alcohol flowed more freely.

Family.  Fuck, I love my family. I love the extended bunch, the non-blood, the cousins and 8th cousins, the great-aunts, uncles, every single person. I am beyond blessed to come from such a crazy clan.

My dad's speech. He is hilarious. His first words were "One down, two to go." It was emotional but mostly funny. He embarrassed the crap out of my sister.

My speech. I welcomed Matt to the family and told him now that he is in, the only way out is "blood out."

So much more but I have to get on the road. I'm driving to New Mexico today. Road trip, alone. I am thrilled. I look forward to driving in the desert at night, this is my night driving desert music:

No comments: