Wednesday, May 23, 2012

extracting the story

I've been reading a ton of Fantasy and Paranormal Young Adult fiction; I actually always read YA but in my reading the last year or so I've been paying attention to the arc, narrative styles, themes, etc because of the book I'm writing. My protagonist is on the Hero's Journey, with appropriate deviations from the traditional path. I am struggling a little. But I didn't expect it to be easy. I've been reading books that are parts of trilogies, as in the fantasy camp of my mind, I'm writing a trilogy. I've noticed that in a lot of the trilogies I'm reading, the second book falls a little flat, most of the interesting character development has already occurred and the plot focus on situations leading toward whatever is the big reveal in the third book. I have my books mapped out. I have a plan. I think my character will end up in a very interesting place right before the first book ends so I can have that momentum to drive the second book. I'll figure it out.

Wedding wedding wedding. I'm very excited for my sister's wedding and I get more excited each day. I'm trying not to think about all the things I need to do before then and all the work I have to get done before I leave.

I head out to New Mexico next week for a couple of weeks. I know I have some work with an interior designer but she isn't in the country yet so I have a couple of days to hang out in New Mexico on my own. I'll probably do some solo camping, as much as the idea drives my parents crazy. But I love sleeping outdoors, I love sitting in front of a fire. Then a week at Las Dos Brujas Writing Workshop. Pretty excited to see a couple of good friends. My friend V and I only ever see each other every couple of years but when we get together we act like siblings. I'm excited to work with Chris Abani, I've known him for years, he was part of the VONA faculty so I hung out with him but I've never had the chance to work with him.

Coming home will be interesting. I've had the wedding and the workshop to look forward to. I don't have much to look forward to this summer. Work and distractions.



No comments: