Wednesday, May 30, 2012

road joy


I am writing this from a hotel room in Flagstaff. In a few minutes I'll drive the rest of way to Santa Fe. I admit, I was a little worried about being on the road alone for so many hours yesterday. As much as I drive, long solo stretches are rare. Yesterday morning my dad told me, very seriously, "Do not pick up hitchhikers or men outside of prisons."  HA!

The road from San Diego to Phoenix is flat, boring lame. But the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff! Oh my heart was glad, I was glad, singing, happy. It was ridiculously beautiful. I had  my music on full blast, singing at the top of my lugs and I was happy. I felt myself for the first time in a long time. My adventurous self, my wild self, free, nothing but possibility in front of me.

I have no idea what I'll do in Santa Fe. I'm not worried. I'm sure I'll be fine. I am SO looking forward to getting back on the road. The road loves me.

No comments: