Friday, January 4, 2013

366



Yesterday morning I read my journal entry from a year ago, January 3, 2012.  I was at the beginning of change. I wasn't unhappy, I was mostly at peace, but I wanted more out of life. I wanted more peace. I wanted to go inward. I wanted to stop playing small. I had also had a horrible night of insomnia the evening before the journal entry, and bad dreams. Yesterday morning I woke up after a night of insomnia, bad dreams and general feelings of blah. I wrote about it in my journal, then curious, I opened my journal to see where I had been a year earlier. I was surprised to see I had also had insomnia and bad dreams the same night a year before. But my journal entry yesterday was all about gratitude, about how much my life has changed in the last year and how at peace and I am with my life. And the joy.

Last night I finished reading my first book of 2013, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. The author created a world that was incredibly well-developed; the history and invented culture were believable, intricate, nuanced. A world where dragons and humans co-exist in a fragile peace is a great setting for a story, great tension. The main character was wonderful, her flaws and fears balancing out as strengths when they could have just as easily been annoying to the reader. As a writer I was intrigued by the language. Gorgeous sentence construction, descriptions that blossomed in the mind, pacing and tension played out beautifully. It made me wonder what kind of books the author likes to read, who her favorite writers are, what music runs through her mind as she writes. Language like that isn't an accident, it builds over years.

I'm printing out my full book manuscript later today for the first time ever. I've had it on my computer, and printed out the first half almost a year ago. I've been neglecting the book, life has been busy. But signs keep showing up that I have to work on it. I went hiking on Monday, a fallen log on my path looked exactly like a jaguar leaping out at me. I stopped and took a picture. A new hypnosis track I purchased and was listening to exactly described a scene I had written a few months ago. And yesterday my baby sister called to ask about my book. She read the first couple of chapters last year and told me she has been wondering about my characters ever since. So, yes. Here we go.

No comments: