Friday, January 11, 2013

Album Review: Carla Morrison "Dejenmer Llorar"

Had a brief email exchange about this album with a friend, I quickly wrote this review to send him and he wrote back and suggested I post it on my blog. Here it is:



Listening to this album makes me wish it was around in 2002, when I  was a 23 year old Fridaphile Chicana, my hair in braids, marching every protest, falling in love with brown boys who proudly wore scruffy goatees, Che obsessions and soccer shoes. The songs are young in their emotional truths, saccharine sweet at times. In my imagination I am listening to this album while making out Gael Garcial Bernal before he started doing Gillette commercials. It makes me want to time travel back to the days of obsessive innocence, when everything I wrote down was meaningful, in italics. What I'm trying to say is that this album reminds of being young, which is very different from what I am now: "still" young. It reminds me how fucking fast time goes by, how the years become a skin thickening against vulnerablity. This album peels that skin back a little, lets in those old feelings I keep forgetting to remember.

No comments: