Monday, June 10, 2013

Latina Writing Speculative Fiction/Fantasy

I am, damn it.

Yesterday H sent me this article on writers of color writing speculative fiction. So damn interesting. Last week I saw a conversation on twitter wherein a writer was asking if any Latinas were writing (and publishing) speculative fiction or fantasy. I don't jump in to these conversations, right now my focus is on writing the best story I can. I don't want to take the energy away from my creative pursuits. But ayyyyyy, I want to jump in and me say ME! I'm writing it! Ego, hungry little focker, wants the attention for something that hasn't yet been birthed.

There are so many things I want to address in my story but not in a hit-you-over-the-head way. I've read too many books that wear their intended issues like merit badges. I love stories where you can taste the complexity without knowing all the ingredients but the flavor knocks you off your feet. (Also, I'm blogging whilst hungry.) Again, trusting myself is key.

I think of a conversation I had a few months ago with Juan Felipe Herrera,  he interviewed a couple of us on what makes a Chicana or Latina writer. We dove in, silly as hell, poking fun at every cliche. We were cracking up, super sarcastic but we were honest about what shows up again and again. We were also honest about what we are not allowed to talk about as Latina writers; where we are still held down by culture. I've thought back to that conversation a lot; there is something there. What, I don't know yet. But I know it was important. In any case, I'm sure it'll show up again, Juan Felipe recorded the interview.

Working within and "creating" myth has been wonderful. The right stuff shows up right on time, and then shit shows up that I immediately recognize as such.  I picked up a couple of books this weekend, a Joseph Campbell book and another one that I am frustrated with. The second one is a spiritual memoir of sorts, but the title caught my eye as it fit perfectly with who my characters are. But going through the book, as lovely as some of the writing was I thought the subtitle should have been In celebration of Patriarchy. No thanks, plenty of that to go around. I'll cuddle up with the Campbell tonight.

My summer is going to be crazy busy. My goal is to get as much writing done as possible, finish polishing some short stories that need to go out on submission and get this draft done. I found out yesterday I'm have to drive to Texas for work in July, right after I get back from Vancouver. I don't know how long I'll be out there but the client is setting me up in a hotel. When I return I have a little bit of solo time before the big Life Event happening in August. Crazy. And yay! And whoa.

Also WHAT THE FUCK GAME OF THRONES! That last scene in the season finale pissed me off. White savior much? Colonial narrative much?  Ugh. Even more confirmation I need to publish my book.  I get goosebumps of rage when I think of that scene.

1 comment:

Marcos Soriano said...

Hi Lizz,

I recently finished a fantasy novel that deals with race, amongst other things. If you'd like to check it out, I'd be happy to send you a free e-copy.

Let me know,
Marcos Soriano