Wednesday, June 12, 2013

switching it up

I had a rough writing day yesterday. Keeping track of the narrative arc, the heart of it can be challenging in a project with a big scope. Yesterday I got a little lost in the work and was frustrated. I know this is all part of the process but yech.

I read a book last night that started off beautifully, great world, characters, an intricate plot but it got heavy-handed in the end; so much was going on that I went numb and lost the emotional attachment I'd built up for the characters. Too much plot, too many sweeping emotional generalizations, I wanted the truth of the beginning and it disappeared. Boo.

This morning I pulled up the first novel I ever started in 2006. I've been looking at it bit by bit the last few months. This morning I uploaded it into Scrivener, did a little editing, outlining. Fuck, this is a good book. It is contemporary young adult so it energizes an entirely different part of my brain than the fantasy novel. I have been daydreaming the plot for a while now. I now know where it will go.  I'm going to continue outlining then turn back to the fantasy novel this afternoon. I think writing in a different voice will help me get back the the voice I've been working in for the last couple of years. Maybe I'm crazy. Any other writers out there working on more than one big project? (Also, none of you ever comment, am I writing to the void?!?!)

I need to get back to my poetry manuscript. Luckily, (and by luckily I mean holy shit am I blessed!) H is all about helping with the manuscript. He constantly offers to send out poems for me, send the whole thing out to contests. Being this supported by a partner, in my writing and every other aspect of my life is very new to me. I don't even know what to do with it. I appreciate and reciprocate.

No comments: