Thursday, July 25, 2013

dust and watermelon



I've been at the ranch in Texas for a few days now and am settling into a rhythm. I'm staying at a hotel 15 minutes from the ranch. Every morning I get up, stretch, meditate, go eat my free hotel breakfast (and get odd looks from the other hotel guests, I'm in my painting clothing,) then head out to the ranch. Most of the drive is along a dirt road. Very beautiful, sparse and not at all anything that I'm used to.

The town I'm in is tiny. Everyone knows each other and the people watching is pretty interesting, I'm being watched right back. My friend Kaveri Singh  is here too so we have each other for company. The interior designer we work with is here too. Still, I miss home. I miss my family. I don't mind working out of town, and I definitely don't mind traveling but I miss my daily rituals and I miss being touched. My family hugs.

In the fantasy camp of my mind I though I would work all day then come back to the hotel, go for a swim then spend my evenings writing. HA! I won't swim. The hotel is full of constructions workers. The guys at our job site are super cool but the ones here at the hotel, meh. Last night I went outside to watch an electrical storm that was passing over town and two men were outside smoking and loudly comparing about ways in which they control (read: abuse) their women, (of course they didn't call them women.) One said something about how he "had to punch her in the mouth and threaten to tie her to the bed again." Ugh. No swimming for me. And I'm bone tired when I get back. It is HOT out here and the site is incredibly dusty and full of flies. When I get back to the room I shower, eat and collapse on to the king sized bed and read. I brought some wine and treat myself to a glass, er, hotel paper cup, of it at night. No writing.

The site is actually an interesting place. Everyone who works there is very cool and kind. Yesterday I was chatting with a shy carpenter, we were talking books. A little while later he told me "In a few minutes you should come down to the basement with us" and nodded toward a few other men. I immediately thought oh hell no, go to the basement with a bunch of strange men at an isolated ranch on the middle of nowhere?! The he told me they had a secret watermelon eating club. Every morning they buy a watermelon, put it in the basement freezer and take a break to eat it at 3pm. Only a few are invited. It was hot and so I went. It was pretty damn sublime, sitting in the cool basement while it was close to 100 degrees out, eating ice cold watermelon with a bunch of kind strangers. Little moments like that are golden.

A couple more days here then I head back to Santa Fe for another little job then home.



No comments: